Wednesday 28 December 2016

Controlled Crying - Does it work?

I've seen a few vloggers on YouTube approach the subject of "controlled crying" and give their thoughts and opinions on it. Right or wrong? So I thought I'd give my view.
Controlled crying is basically a method of "sleep training" whereby you leave your child to cry for 5 minutes at a time, and then you go in and settle them down again. If they are still crying you leave them a little longer each time. This supposedly works a treat. I however tried it but just couldn't deal with it. I'm a big believer on comforting children as much as they need. In saying that my first born I made a rod for my own back, by rocking him to sleep!! Eventually I tried the controlled crying but couldn't handle listening to my baby crying (as I would be crying too, and it was too much upset just to get him to go to sleep on his own)  so we ended up teaching him to self settle with soft music playing and that really worked for us. I have had 2 babies since and have never tried controlled crying again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment