Wednesday 15 February 2017

Winter Blues

I've said in a previous post how much I have come to hate the winter season. When I say season, I mean the grotesque weather and god awful lack of natural light. I don't mean Christmas cozy pjs and hot chocolates.
I think this winter I have suffered majorly from the "winter blues" and up until now I didn't even know that it was an actual thing.

The nhs website calls it SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder.
"SAD is sometimes known as "winter depression" because the symptoms are more apparent and tend to be more severe during the winter.
The symptoms often begin in the autumn as the days start getting shorter. They're typically most severe during December, January and February.
SAD often improves and disappears in the spring and summer, although it may return each autumn and winter in a repetitive pattern.
Symptoms of SAD can include:
  • a persistent low mood
  • a loss of pleasure or interest in normal everyday activities
  • irritability
  • feelings of despair, guilt and worthlessness
  • feeling lethargic (lacking in energy) and sleepy during the day
  • sleeping for longer than normal and finding it hard to get up in the morning
  • craving carbohydrates and gaining weight "

I am completely done with dark mornings, dark evenings grey days, the freezing bitter cold and rain. God I hate the rain. I'm done with putting coats on, and hats, and scarves and tiny fingers in tiny gloves. I want sunshine and warmth, and t shirts and flip flops!
The doctor has diagnosed me as vitamin d deficient, and this explains a lot. My tiredness and body aches for example. Along with this I have been in a rut. Stuck in a place of wanting to do nothing. Housework has been getting on top of me and we haven't ventured out apart from the everyday necessary trips to school and dancing, kickboxing etc. Just in a real can't be bothered to do anything mood. But then we had a day or so of clearer, blue skies and it gave me a glimpse of spring. I managed to open some of my windows (all be it for only an hour) and go outside without wrapping the baby up like michellin man. It lifted my spirits so much an suddenly I realised how little I had actually been accomplishing in my days. What a waste of time!!

Spring is just around the corner and I have my mojo back! I've decluttered through my kids room and got nearly all my hoard of washing done so far this week. Thank god for that!!



Mrs Hx

No comments:

Post a Comment